WEBSITE

SLIDER

  •  photo af2e85ba-243e-40b7-8359-102dd88c7086_zps6e5119e3.jpg" />
  •  photo 99c2aa08-6fda-4dc3-94cd-6f85d497db9c_zpsdfb0c0fe.jpg" />

Saturday 4 October 2014

Jam Doughnuts


I have always wanted to make Jam Doughnuts, but have never bothered because I don't own a deep fat fryer.  My dad made doughnuts with me when I was younger he say's he can't remember but I do ! I decided to make these for my youngest son Samuels 10th Birthday for our friends and family.

I ordered a cheap electric fat fryer from Amazon just for these doughnuts it was £19.99, although I will be sending it back as it was not very good.

I decided to use Felicity Cloake's recipe from the guardian, I like her recipes as she tests lots of different recipes and then makes a good one out of them all.  (something I like doing but if someone has already done it then I will go with that).  Felicity's recipe is based on Paul Hollywoods recipe with a few tweaks.

Here is the recipe or the link to the recipe is how to cook perfect jam doughnuts
Makes 6
210g strong white flour, plus extra to dust
7g dried yeast
½ tsp salt
15g caster sugar, plus extra to dust
20g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped, plus extra to grease
65ml whole milk, warmed
45ml warm water
1 egg, beaten
2 litres vegetable or sunflower oil, to cook
6 tsp raspberry or strawberry jam
1. Combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Put the butter into a bowl with the warm milk and water, and stir to melt. Pour this into the mixing bowl, along with the egg, and stir until it comes together into a dough: it should be firm, but soft.

2. Tip on to a lightly floured surface, or into a mixer fitted with a dough hook, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Put into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
3. Shape into 6 balls of about 80g each, folding each side tightly into the centre in turn, turning as you go, then turn the ball over and put it on a lightly floured baking tray or board, spacing them well apart. Cover and leave to rise again for 45 minutes.


4. Heat the oil in a large pan or deep-fat fryer to 160C. Cook the doughnuts in 2 batches for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden, then blot with kitchen paper and sprinkle with caster sugar. Allow to cool slightly, then make a small hole in the side of each, and use a piping bag to inject a splodge of jam. Eat immediately, while they're still warm.



My doughnuts looked wonderful when they came out of the fryer, they were golden brown with a white line around the middle just as they should look.


I was so excited whilst waiting for them to cool ready to inject my wild strawberry Bon Mamon Jam.  I took a small knife and pushed down gently to the centre with a wiggle to make a slit, I was so disappointed to see raw dough on then end of my knife !!!!!! They were not properly cooked in the centre.  How was I going to rescue my delightful doughnuts ?? I thought if I refry them the heat will not penetrate the centre before burning the outsides.
Instead I cut them all in half and refried them (even though they had been rolled in sugar). I then pumped jam into them and everyone thought they were wonderful.


My deep fat fryer temperature control was not very accurate, so I will be ordering a better one next time as these doughnuts were delicious and will definitely be making them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design